16 February 2010

For the want of a pair of shoes

We left Burlington, VT yesterday heading south on Route 7.  We had mapped a few places to stop that had things that might be interesting to see.  The plans were skuttled.  It was President's Day, Monday and Jeff was looking for a certain pair of Merril shoes.

We stopped for lunch in Vergennes-smallest city (by population, 2773 people) in VT. There was a small cafe named 3 Squares  which was delicious.  On our way back to the car Jeff noticed a shoes store.  He has been looking for shoes.  I noticed a clothes shop 2 doors down.  We separated.  The clothes store was chock full of wonderful colors, textures, designs of women's clothes.  I tried on one that wasn't right.  Another, another.  Ah, here was one I liked.  $450.  thank you but that is not in my budget this year, nor next, I'm sure!

Jeff met me in the store.  The least expensive pair of shoes in the shoe store was $250.

We walked down the main street towards the river.  (more pics of waterfalls on my FB).  We passed a rooming house with 9 separate electric meters outside, we passed by a small, tired bungalow with a child's plastic climbing structure in the front yard, we noticed many skeletons of barns on the side of the road on the way into town.  There isn't any major tourist attraction in town.  WHO IS BUYING THESE THINGS?

Vermont is a study in contrasts.  Abject poverty just a mile down the road from unthinkable wealth.  Audi's seem to be the car of choice here.  They drive behind the 15 year old Ford Taurus which drives behind the logging truck.  The beautifully restored Victorian bed and breakfast is around the corner from the doublewide trailer with the rusty truck in the front yard.  Middlebury is just down the road from Ferrisberg.  Our "motelier" is a 20-something social worker with a wife, two kids under two who were birthed at home, who can't make ends meet but they have a 7 year plan to run this great motel (Brandon Motor Lodge) and hope for positive cash flow.  They dream of the day when they can do what we are doing right now.

Maybe these contrasts are everywhere and I've never had the time to notice?  Maybe I've never been in the position that I am in now to wonder what I will do next, and where.

All for the want of a pair of shoes...sort of.

Blue skies!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that bizarre juxtaposition of poverty and wealth-it became real to me when I moved south. One block, incredibly beautiful homes, the next block...not so much. And about that 15 year old Ford Taurus...(wink).
    You write beautifully.
    Be happy and safe!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails