09 February 2010

I just packed 2 pickles

We have not been buying any food for the past couple of weeks, trying to use up everything in the frig and freezer.  To see the refrigerator this morning was to be amazed!  I only had to throw away 1/3 of a container of yogurt, 1/2 of labne, 1/3 of fig jelly, 1/3 of soy cream cheese, one sad scallion and 1/2 a can of tomato paste.  Of course, in order to be able to say this...I had to pack 2 pickles and a sausage to take on the road with us this morning and feed the last of the bread to the squirrels.

Since last night we have been busy packing and vetting and kvetching.  As each hour passed, more bags piled up at the front door to get packed into the car.  As I do the last load of laundry this morning, I wonder how Jeff's khaki shorts will fit into his bag after they get washed, nevermind how all of those bags are going to fit into the car!  Considering that we are packing for nearly 4 months, 3 seasons, 3+ continents- not bad.

Jeff and I have dramatically different views of packing- I have always packed as little as possible, and been very proud of my carry on bag that contained clothes enought for a week- business clothes at that!  Jeff has always packed for every possible eventuality, having no shame in checking a bag.  Last night I happened upon him in the living room, where he had been staging his clothes.  He was just pulling the straps tight on his bag and looking rather smug.  He had gotten everything packed into the bags he had planned.  He went straight upstairs to get the scale.  First he got on the scale- 193lbs.  then he got on with his bag-235lbs.  then with my bag-240lbs.  I have to remember to be more humble when packing my bags.

In spite of the fact that I am going through the house like a madwoman- pick up this, move that, put that away, one more wipe of that, check the other thing one last time (those who know me best will recognize this focused state)...we are leaving in two hours. 

The trip has begun with a final cleaning, a packed car, a locked door and a cooler with a day old sausage and two pickles..

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! Holy COW! Have a wonderful time! I cannot wait to follow you! I hope your travels South might include a stop at Graceland!
    Love you both-be safe-have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 193 pounds was with my clothes on.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails